Accademia del Cimento
Founded in 1657 by Prince Leopold and Grand Duke FerdinandáII de' Medici, the Accademia del Cimento was Europe's first scientific society. Its main objectives were the development and diffusion of Galilean experimental methodology. Under the motto "Provando e riprovando" ["Trying and trying again"], the Accademia undertook a rigorously experimental verification of the principles of natural philosophy, whose acceptance had hitherto rested largely on Aristotle's authority. While there was no formal procedure for joining the society, Francesco Redi, Lorenzo Magalotti (the Secretary), Vincenzo Viviani, Giovanni Alfonso Borelli, Carlo Renaldini, and others regularly attended its meetings. These were usually held in the Palazzo Pitti. Members performed numerous experiments, mainly in the fields of thermometry, barometry, and pneumatics, using purpose-built instruments. The Accademia ceased its activities in 1667 with the publication of the Examples of Natural Experiments, which described the main results of its research program.
Last update 05/gen/2008