Antica Farmacia Clementi [Antique Clementi Pharmacy]
The pharmacy was founded in 1880 by Dr. Giuseppe Clementi, who moved to Fivizzano from San Vito di Leguzzano to accept the position of physician at the Contigli pharmacy. Already by 1886, the pharmacy was famous for the preparation, among many other products, of elixir of cinchona and "Balsamo Clementi". Subsequent to the collapse of the building caused by an earthquake on September 7, 1920, the pharmacy was moved first to Piazza Marconi and then to Via Roma, already the location of the small Miniati Pharmacy which, operating since 1835 as the Tenderini pharmacy, was managed by Dr. Frassinetti. Subsequent to bombing in 1944, which destroyed the pharmacy for the second time and also destroyed the library, the Clementi Pharmacy was reconstructed in the new building where it is still located today, with the old furnishings from the Tenderini and Contigli pharmacy. They consisted of, in the first case, of a set of shelves dating from the first half of the 19th century, with a counter in natural wood decorated with fretwork in neo-Gothic style; and in the second, of ivory-colored wood furnishings with gold-leaf decorations dating from 1880. Both sets of shelves contain a rich selection of glass and ceramic jars bought more recently, with new products prepared according to ancient prescriptions.
Texts by Francesco Boccanera, Anna Vittoria Laghi
English translation by Catherine Frost
Last update 20/feb/2008