Ex Manifattura Ceramica di San Quirico [Former San Quirico Ceramic Manufactory]
Of the three ceramics manufactories that belonged to the Chigi Zondadari family, the most important was situated in the locality known as Fonte alla Vena, along the Via Cassia near San Quirico d’Orcia. The first news documenting its production dates to 1693, year in which payment is attested to potter Mariano Sticcoli. On the basis of surviving sources, we can suppose that the work of painting and decorating the famous ceramics was also performed in this place. The Chigi Zondadari entrusted the realisation of the vases to the best craftsmen, including noteworthy figures like Francesco Antonio Piergentili, Bartolomeo Terchi, and Ferdinando Maria Campani.
Ceramic production continued actively at least until 1795. Still today, a building with a porticoed facade conserves the polychrome coat of arms of the Chigi Zondadari family. The old pottery has recently been identified on the premises, thanks to a comparison of documents and cadastral maps of the period and the discovery, in the area, of an old kiln for firing ceramics.
Texts by Graziano Magrini
English translation by Victor Beard
Last update 05/feb/2008