Ex Polveriera Guzman - Museo Archeologico Civico [Former Guzman Munitions Depot - Civic Archaeological Museum]
A splendid example of Spanish military architecture, the Guzman munitions depot was built in 1692 as part of the fortifications system that, along with the homonymous bastion, protected the capital of the State of Presidi. This stone-roofed structure was outfitted with four obelisks positioned in front of the windows in order to protect the explosive contents from weapon fire. After docking at Talamone, Giuseppe Garibaldi came here to stock up on weapons and ammunition for the Expedition of the One Thousand.
The munitions depot houses the municipal archaeological collection abounding in necklaces, buccaro and stone utensils, which cover a chronological arch from the Villanovan age to the Roman age. The collection is completed by materials from the territory of Orbetello. Particularly interesting, finally, is the copious archaeological documentation found at the Villa di Settefinestre, a splendid example of the villa of a large landed estate of the late-republican and imperial age, the grandiose remains of which lie neglected a few kilometres south of Capalbio.
Texts by Elena Fani
English translation by Victor Beard
Last update 21/gen/2008