Garden of Villa Monaciano
By order of the owner Alessandro Pucci Sansedoni, member of the Tuscan Royal Society of Horticulture, the original building was the object of a project for its complete transformation between 1870 and 1885. Thereafter, the complex of the villa and garden adapted to the taste then dominant in Florence, and the style of gardens realised by architect Poggi and the gardeners Pucci.
The park is divided into an upper area, destined to a flower garden, and a lower area occupied by the park proper with a botanical composition which includes several species of high-truck evergreens, such as holm-oaks, horse chestnuts, oaks, palms and a large cedar of Lebanon. The complex is also characterised by water, present in fountains, waterworks and the nymphaeum or "Lake of Venus". The park also contains an aviary in masonry and cast iron and a lemon-house with an important collection of large citrus trees.
The construction of a greenhouse equipped with a heating system that still functions has been documented since 1881. It occupies a commanding position and is the only example of a large hothouse to be found in the area. Several exotic plant species, such as begonias, ferns and orchids are still cultivated here.
Texts by Graziano Magrini
English translation by Victor Beard
Last update 25/gen/2008