Museo "Bernardini-Fatti" della Vetrata Antica ["Bernardini-Fatti" Museum of Stained Glass]
Hosted in the church of San Giovanni Battista, the first news of which dates to 1126, the Museum of Stained Glass of Sansepolcro opened in 2003 and constitutes one of the first organic attempts in Italy to create a museum dedicated to stained glass. It mainly houses works that can be dated between the late 19th century and the early 20th century, including the outstanding life-size copy, in painted glass, of Leonardo’s Last Supper, made between 1937 and 1942 by Rosa and Cecilia Caselli and donated to the city by townsman Luigi Fatti. The Giuseppina Bernardini Collection instead contains stained glass with sacred subjects that can be dated to the second half of the 19th century, such as the large Crucifix, a masterpiece of British Pre-Raphaelite art.
Particularly interesting from a scientific viewpoint is the exhibition of stained glass samples (with and without figures), enriched by a collection of sketches, coloured panels and engravings from the late 18th century, which are joined by craftsmen’s workshop materials and texts illustrating the history, making and restoration of stained glass, and make it possible to trace back the phases of this ancient art. By appointment, demonstrations are offered on the making of traditional stained glass involving lead.
Texts by Elena Fani
English translation by Victor Beard
Last update 18/gen/2010