Teatro Pacini [Pacini Theatre at Pescia]
The Theatre at Pescia was founded by the Accademia degli Affiliati, in the early 18th century. The architect Giovanni Antonio Tani was chosen as director of works, which continued from 1717 to 1728, the year when the theatre was inaugurated. The original structure, which is assumed to have been U-shaped with 40 boxes, was modified already during the course of the 18th century for the purpose of increasing the number of boxes, now built of brick, and enlarging the stalls. Further initiatives, in the late 19th century and the early years of the 20th, were carried out instead to renew the furnishings and the lighting system. The 19th century was, in fact, the century that had seen the major European theatres adopt first gas lighting systems in place of the old oil lamps, and then the first experiments with the more innovative electric lighting systems that were to predominate in the following century.
The theatre, closed and damaged during the two World Wars, has returned to its ancient splendour in recent years thanks to accurate philological restoration that has restored the nineteenth-century horseshoe structure with five orders of boxes.
A noteworthy event among the spectacles offered by the theatre in its rich program is the festival of amateur theatre, which re-evokes each year the original vocation of the place.
Texts by Elena Fani
English translation by Catherine Frost
Last update 14/gen/2008