Tenuta di San Rossore [The San Rossore Estate]
The San Rossore Estate extends west of Pisa down to the sea, and was used by the Medici grand dukes for hunting. Chronicles narrate that here Cosimo III "thinking he had spotted a wild boar rustling the underbrush, took a shot with his springald, accidentally killing a poor man who was removing the guts from a deer". Several dromedaries were brought to the Medici estate in the second decade of the 17th century, to transport materials to the city. These camels (Camelus dromedarius) gave rise to the race of "Tuscan Camels" that numbered 196 specimens in 1789, and were written about by naturalists Giorgio Santi, Paolo Savi, and Sebastiano Richiardi. In 1815, member of the Accademia dei Georgofili Luigi Porte wrote the memorial entitled Del Cammello Toscano [About the Tuscan Camel], in which he suggested the animal be used to transport alum at the mine at Montione.
After the Medici, the estate passed to the Lorraines and then the Savoys. With the fall of the monarchy, it became the Presidential estate. Today it is property of Tuscany’s regional government which has made it part of the "Migliarino San Rossore Massaciuccoli Park".
Texts by Alessandro Tosi
English translation by Victor Beard
Last update 09/gen/2008