Torre del Gallo [Gallo Tower]
Located in the hills of Arcetri, near the Villa "Il Gioiello" where Galileo Galilei spent the last years of his life, the Torre del Gallo towards the end of the 19th century was a site dedicated to the memory of the illustrious Pisan scientist.
In 1872, after various dynastic transfers, the Tower was purchased by count Paolo Galletti who set up a little museum exhibiting memorabilia, busts and portrait of Galileo.
In 1902, the property was purchased by antiquarian Stefano Bardini who transformed the tower into a neo-Medieval castle. The project remained unfinished and the building was later abandoned. During World War II, the building was headquarters of the Military Pharmaceutical Institute, then of the Fascist Federation and, after being requisitioned by British troops, of a prison camp.
Various rehabilitation projects have been recently presented that would like to give the building a cultural and scientific use, with particular attention for astronomy.
Texts by Graziano Magrini
English translation by Victor Beard
Last update 30/gen/2008