logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Interior of the Pharmacy Munstermann,  Florence.zoom in altra finestra

Farmacia Münstermann [Münstermann Pharmacy]

The pharmacy was founded in 1897 by the German pharmacist Müstermann, who introduced homeopathy to Florence at a time when this kind of treatment was practised only in Naples. In 1908 it was moved to the premises it occupies today, where it was known as the Anglo-American pharmacy up to 1935. The original furnishings were later modified, due both to restoration work on the building in which it was located and to the damage caused by the flood of the Arno in 1966. The horseshoe-shaped counter and the two panels that close the shop windows on the inside are parts of the original furnishings.


Texts by Francesco Boccanera, Anna Vittoria Laghi

English translation by Catherine Frost

Last update 21/gen/2008