Niccolò Branchi della Torre
Florentine physician and chemist. In 1752 he conducted, in the presence of a group of scholars, a series of chemistry experiments on the premises of the Farmacia del Cinghiale, in the vicinity of the New Market Loggia in Florence. Its success was such that the program was repeated and extended in the followng year. A member of the Academy of the Georgofili from 1754, he was authorised by Grand Duke Francis Stephen, in 1757, to open the first school of chemistry in Pisa, where he taught from the year of its foundation to 1801.
Last update 27/feb/2008