Garden of Villa Chigi Saracini
Count Galgano Saracini ordered the construction of the villa and park, which can be set between 1820 circa and 1840, and is in part attributed to architect Agostino Fantastici.
Traversed by numerous lanes and paths, the park has a great variety of tree species and high-trunk trees, such as Atlantic cedars and holm-oaks and, by means of a Doric tepidarium of neoclassical inspiration, is connected to the "Italian" garden in front of the villa. In addition to the original layout of the park and garden, Fantastici also built the aforementioned tepidarium, the lake, tufa grotto and the carriageable bridge with three arches that connects the villa to the hill of San Quirico. The fountain was instead created by Tito Sarrocchi in 1866.
The present look of the park is due to the efforts of count Guido Chigi Saracini, founder of the Accademia Musicale Chigiana of Siena, still active today, which hosted numerous internationally famous artists and organises musical events and other cultural initiatives. He commissioned sculptor Vico Consorti (1902-1979) from Siena to create a series of statues dedicated to great musicians to position in the park, in the intent to make it a sort of "ideal gallery" of music.
Texts by Antonella Gozzoli
English translation by Victor Beard
Last update 25/gen/2008