logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Interior of the Pharmacy Santissima Annunziata, Florence.zoom in altra finestra
  • Exterior of the Pharmacy Santissima Annunziata, Florence.zoom in altra finestra

Farmacia SS. Annunziata [SS. Annunziata Pharmacy]

The pharmacy of today may be the ancient "spezieria" of the Servi di Maria Convent adjacent to the church of SS. Annunziata, or it may instead be that "workshop used as pharmacy", owned since 1561 by the Benedictine monks of San Niccolò, situated on the ground floor of the building in Via dei Servi where the pharmacy is located today. In the latter hypothesis, the first manager would have been the "speziale" Domenico di Vincenzo di Domenico Brunetti, registered in the Book of the Physicians and Pharmacists Guild in December 1588. The tondo representing the Annunciation, decorating the facade of the building in which the pharmacy is located, has been documented since the 17th century.

In the sales area, the seventeenth-century furnishings consist of three display cases, dark wood decorated in gold leaf, arranged along the walls at the sides and in front of the entrance. The counter was severely damaged during the flood of the Arno in 1966. The pharmaceutical equipment, mainly dating from the 19th century, consists of twelve jars with lids from the Ginori manufactory, and bottles and jars in glass and ceramics.


Texts by Antonella Gozzoli

English translation by Catherine Frost

Last update 02/feb/2008