logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Cut-crystal vase, Crystal Museum, Colle di Val d'Elsa.zoom in altra finestra

Museo del Cristallo [Crystal Museum]

Founded in 2001, the Museum presents the history of crystal making in Colle di Val d’Elsa from the 19th century to the present. The largest section is dedicated to the glassmaking industry of Colle di Val d’Elsa from 1820, when the first furnace was built, to the manufacture of lead crystal in 1963. Also on show are glass exhibits from the 14th and 15th centuries which document the historical glassmaking activity in Valdelsa, in addition to objects carved with the age-old technique of the copper wheel. Quite noteworthy is the technological section where a traditional work environment - with the life-size cutaway reproduction of a furnace - stands alongside its modern automated counterpart. The Museum is housed in an underground space along with old glass and crystal shops.


Texts by Stefania Mangia

English translation by Victor Beard

Last update 30/gen/2008