Palazzo Controni Pfanner
Built around 1667 and originally known as Palazzo Moriconi until the late 17th century, Palazzo Controni adjoins Palazzo Lucchesini, headquarters of the Liceo Classico "Machiavelli". It was purchased in 1860 by Felice Pfanner who installed a beer factory that continued operation until 1929.
Situated between the palazzo and the inner scarp of the walls, the eighteenth-century garden is a splendid setting authored by architect Filippo Juvarra. The garden approach is lined by four terracotta pots containing cycas plants. The garden area is outlined by a tall box hedge and subdivided into a series of rectangular spaces separated by straight lanes. The four areas in front of the palazzo and delimited by box and laurel hedges, embrace an octagonal pond with the allegorical statues of the four traditional elements (Vulcan – Fire; Mercury – Air; Dionysus – Earth; Oceanus – Water). There are statues of the four seasons near the palazzo. In addition to seasonal plants, the tree species include pines, yews, magnolias and fruit trees. The principal lanes are bordered by potted lemon trees and rose bushes. Next to the boundary wall stands the lemon-house with the Controni family emblem.
Texts by Graziano Magrini
English translation by Victor Beard
Last update 26/feb/2008