Accademia dei Lincei
The Accademia dei Lincei was founded in 1603 by the young Prince Federico Cesi, joined by Anastasio De Filiis, Johannes Van Heeck, and Francesco Stelluti. The Academy set as its goal the radical renewal of knowledge, carrying out a spirited attack against the dominant Aristotelian philosophy. It adopted the emblem of the lynx, symbol of sharp and penetrating sight. The Academy understood the revolutionary potential of the discoveries in the heavens that Galileo made in 1610, thanks to the telescope. It feted Galileo and co-opted him as member on April 25, 1611. Later, it supported the Pisan scientist's battles against the defenders of traditional culture and hostile Church authorities. The Lincei promoted and published Galileo's History and demonstrations on the solar spots and their characteristics in 1613 and The Assayer in 1623. The Academy broke up in 1630 at the death of Prince Federico Cesi.
Last update 12/gen/2008