logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Inscription on the façade of the Cartiera Cini, Piteglio.zoom in altra finestra
  • Courtyard of the Cini Paper Mill, Piteglio.zoom in altra finestra

Cini Paper Mill

Brought into operation in 1822, the paper mill of Piteglio in the vicinity of the bridge over the Lima was a model factory, built thanks to the intelligence and initiative of the Cini family. In October 1836, after few years of activity, a flood of the river seriously damaged the factory, which was rebuilt next to the previous one. November 1838 witnessed the installation – the first in Tuscany – of an English-made machine with eight cylinders. "Then the plan was implemented to mount another machine with twelve cylinders, and another factory … was built for this purpose, which was completed and began activity in April of this year, 1842. This second machine, built like the other in London is, at present, one of the most perfect in existence and, combined with the other and the seven vats, forms the most important paper manufactory in Italy, as far as we know" (E. Repetti, Dizionario geografico fisico storico della Toscana). Thereafter, the Cini paper mill resorted to using straw and cellulose as raw materials in place of the hemp and linen rags and carnicci (the fragments of flesh that remain attached to the hides of animals). At the end of the 19th century, the construction of a building for the preparation of wood needed to make cellulose pulp and the use steam as motive power, made the production system even more efficient.


Texts by Graziano Magrini

English translation by Victor Beard

Last update 10/gen/2008