logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Levels, tachometers and a clinometer,  State Institute for Land Surveyors "E.Santoni", Pisa.zoom in altra finestra
  • Overall view of the collection, State Institute for Land Surveyors "E.Santoni", Pisa.zoom in altra finestra

Istituto Tecnico per Geometri "E. Santoni" ["E. Santoni" Technical Institute for Surveyors]

The school was founded in the late 19th century, occupying premises in Palazzo Lanfranchi. In 1918 it was moved to Via Benedetto Croce and lastly, in 1978, to its current location in Largo Concetto Marchesi. In 1999 the Istituto Tecnico per Geometri "Santoni" and the Istituto Tecnico per Attivitą Sociali "Gambacorti" ["Gambacorti" Technical Institute for Social Work] were united to form the Istituto di Istruzione Superiore "E. Santoni" ["E. Santoni" Institute of Higher Education].

The Institute has a small collection of topographical instruments, including several levels, a protractor and a sextant, purchased for use in teaching and dating from 1906 to the middle of the 20th century. It also possesses a larger collection of educational topographical instruments in use today, dating from the middle of the 20th century to the present.


Texts by Francesco Marchetti

English translation by Catherine Frost

Last update 16/gen/2008