logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Exterior of the Monastero delle Benedettine di Santa Maria degli Angeli, Pistoia.zoom in altra finestra

Monastero delle Benedettine di Santa Maria degli Angeli [Convent of the Benedictine Sisters of St. Mary of the Angels]

The construction of the pharmacy dates from a period ranging from 1884 to 1889. It was built at the initiative of the Benedictine sisters from the ancient convent of Sala who, their convent having been expropriated through the law of 1886 on the confiscation of ecclesiastical property, were obliged to move to the eighteenth-century Palazzo Banchieri, in which the pharmacy is still located.

The pharmacy, occupying two communicating rooms on the ground floor overlooking the inner courtyard, also fulfilled requests from outside of the convent. It still has its original shelves running along the side walls and the dividing partition of the sales area, made of elegantly carved white wood. In the cabinets are various instruments that were used in preparing medicinals and elixirs, as well as glass and ceramic jars.


Texts by Francesco Boccanera, Anna Vittoria Laghi

English translation by Catherine Frost

Last update 22/feb/2008