logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Wagon-stretcher donated by Giuseppe Tavanti, a member of the brotherhood, in 1861, Museum of the Confraternity of Misericordia, Anghiari.zoom in altra finestra
  • Seat of the Museum of the Confraternity of Misericorida, Anghiari.zoom in altra finestra

Museo della Confraternita di Misericordia [Museum of the Misericordia Confraternity]

In 1564 the Company of the Holy Spirit was founded in Anghiari; it later took the name of the Confraternita di Misericordia, dedicated to caring for the sick and burying the dead. In 1870 a Misericordia Hospital was also founded. Starting in 1975, the Historical Archives have been rearranged and the Museum located in the ancient building of Badia, the Brotherhood’s historic residence, has been renovated.

The collection displayed in the Museum consists of various kinds of equipment for ambulances and for assisting the ill at home, dating from the late 19th century; uniforms of the Anghiari Misericordia and four means of transporting patients (a litter mounted on wheels from 1861, a small wagon-stretcher from 1909 called "emergency" for its use in emergencies, a wagon-structure on wheels to be pulled by hand, and an iron device for lifting patients from their beds).


Texts by Stefania Mangia

English translation by Catherine Frost

Last update 04/gen/2008