logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Courtyard of the Monastery of San Francesco, Fiesole.zoom in altra finestra
  • First room dedicated to China, Missionary Museum of the Monastery of San Francesco.zoom in altra finestra

Museo Missionario Etnografico Francescano [Franciscan Ethnographic Missionary Museum]

The Museum, situated within the monastery of San Francesco, was first opened in 1906 as an Archaeological Museum, to house the Etruscan and Roman findings unearthed during excavations in the area around the monastery. It was enriched later by ethnographic articles (clothing, musical instruments, prototypes of typographer's plates, statuettes made of jade, porcelain and ivory) collected by the missionaries, for the most part in China and Egypt. In addition to the archaeological, artistic and ethnographic collections, the Museum displays a number of stuffed birds.

On the outside of the monastery are two sundials showing astronomical hours, one of them dated 1806. Both of the sundials are intact and functioning.


Texts by Graziano Magrini

English translation by Catherine Frost

Last update 11/gen/2008