logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Detail with dedication to Cosimo II de Medici and Coat of Arms of the Arte della Seta, Palazzo dell'Arte della Seta, Florence.zoom in altra finestra
  • Medici coat  of arms in stone placed in the overhead loggia. Florence, Palazzo dell'Arte della Setazoom in altra finestra

Palazzo dell'Arte della Seta [Palazzo of the Silk Weavers Guild]

The Silk Weavers Guild or of Por Santa Maria was born in the late 12th century with the rise of the other guilds, in the area of the Piazza del Mercato Nuovo (New Market), today known as Loggia del Porcellino. In this area were concentrated the headquarters of the richest and most powerful merchant guilds, such as those of Wool Workers, Wool Merchants and Moneylenders. In addition to merchants, bankers were also particularly active in this area; indeed, in 1421 there were 72 banks here. The original headquarters of the Por Santa Maria Guild was located in the street that still today carries its name: around 1313, a workshop was rented here and adorned with a tabernacle containing the image of the Virgin Mary and two Saints. Towards the end of the 14th century, the headquarters in Via del Capaccio was purchased, and is still recognisable today for the Guild’s coat of arms over the main door.


Texts by Antonella Gozzoli

English translation by Victor Beard

Last update 11/feb/2008