logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Theodolite used from 1918 to 1982 to measure the overhang of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Pisa.zoom in altra finestra

Universitą degli Studi di Pisa - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile [University of Pisa - Department of Civil Engineering]

The Department was instituted in 1916 as a Topographic Cabinet in the Engineers’ School of Application. In 1930 it became the Institute of Geodesy and Topography and, in 1975, as the Institute of Geodesy, Topography and Photogrammetry, it became a part of the Faculty of Engineering. In 1997 it was incorporated in the Department of Civil Engineering. It owns 40 topographical instruments from the second half of the 19th century. Two astronomical instruments coming from the Pisa Institute of Astronomy are also included in the collection.


Texts by Francesco Marchetti

English translation by Catherine Frost

Last update 30/gen/2008