logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Fašade of the Department of Linguistics, University of Pisa, during remodelling work (August 2004).zoom in altra finestra
  • Odeon phonograph, Department of Linguistics,University of Pisa.zoom in altra finestra

UniversitÓ degli Studi di Pisa - Dipartimento di Linguistica [University of Pisa - Department of Linguistics]

In 1890 the Cabinet of Experimental Glottology was instituted, the first in Europe, later to become the Glottology Institute of the Faculty of Literature and Philosophy. In 1983 the Institute was absorbed by the Department of Linguistics. The Department possesses a number of instruments used for educational purposes and for research in linguistics. The collection consists mainly of instruments for listening to and recording sounds, dating from the first half of the 20th century. It includes phonographs, phonograph cylinders, and records, as well as slides.

****************************

Texts by Francesco Marchetti

English translation by Catherine Frost

Last update 19/gen/2008