logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
Egnazio Danti, Frammento di anemoscopio
Egnazio Danti, Fragment of an anemoscope

1577
Brass; diameter 25,5 cm
Perugia, Museo Archeologico Nazionale dell’Umbria, inv. 970

The anemoscope consisted of a wind vane to be placed on the roof of a building, a long descending arm and an index indicating the wind direction on a metal ring, such as this one on display. The names of the winds are given in Latin.