logo Museo Galileo - Institute and Museum of the History of Science
  • Entrance to the Pharmacy Melosi, Lucca.zoom in altra finestra
  • Interior of the Pharmacy Melosi, Lucca.zoom in altra finestra

Farmacia Melosi [Melosi Pharmacy]

The pharmacy was opened at its current location near the end of the 19th century. It was called at the time "Premiata Farmacia Giannecchini", as recorded by the plate and the iron grille placed as decoration on the lunette over the entrance portal. It was awarded a prize for its particular production of elixir of cinchona, of which the matrix is still conserved in the pharmacy. It still has the complete furnishings from 1870, consisting of continuous shelves with poplar-wood doors painted ivory and a rich set of white ceramic jars with scrolls from the Ginori manufactory, some of them dating from the late 18th century and containing Venice treacle and an Egyptian ointment alleged to be taken from mummies. Since 1932 the pharmacy has been managed by the Melosi family, which continues to carry out the Galenic activity that made it famous. The pharmacy also possesses a collection of nineteenth-century pharmocopeia and a Corso di botanica medico-farmaceutica e di materia medica by Dr. Antonio Targioni Tozzetti (Florence, 1847).


Texts by Francesco Boccanera, Anna Vittoria Laghi

English translation by Catherine Frost

Last update 10/gen/2008